Monday, June 22, 2009

CABIN FEVER SUCKS

I am one seriously exhausted little pooch after FOUR big walks in THREE days. Here I am, post-bath, warming up and resting. I really should get fitter, but it has been raining so much lately, non-stop, all day, every day, and I was stuck in the unit for a week suffering from severe cabin fever (collateral damage: one scarf, one box of aloe tissues, random barking at familiar objects, and several other new poor habits best left unspecified). I hate Cabin Fever, it sucks to be that bored. I get all neurotic and freaky.

Buzz eventually got sick of my fever on Saturday morning, so shoved me into my raincoat, grabbed a raincoat and took me on a thorough exploration of Cammeray's back streets, Tunks Park (resembling a river delta more than a park, so much water ran through it), before finishing of with a well-deserved brunch at our favourite cafe (even though I was quite soggy by this point). A walk is a great cure.

While I recouped my energy with an afternoon nap, Buzz braved the wet again to go shopping. Her favourite centre is called The Mothership in Chatswood aka The Chase, but it is undergoing major reconstruction and this, combined with inclement weather and rubbish drivers, left her stuck in traffic within a block of the Mothership for 30 minutes. She got her own dose of freaky neurotic cabin fever being stuck in the car that long while precious shopping minutes ticked by. Fortunately she is a champion, and had an important mission to improve our sleeping arrangements, so with only an hour remaining before closing time, she combed TWO shopping centres and returned with a duck-down mattress cover, three European pillows, Euro pillow slips and pretty new queen cover set reduced to a sale price to good to walk away from. I personally thought our sleeping arrangements were pretty good already but I must agree that they are much cozier now.

Sunday we had an early start (for a Sunday). First a quick trip to Mosman for a pair of warm tracky-dacks (for Buzz, I didn't need any), then off to Wollstonecraft to go for my second walk, this time with an extra companion, Lindy. I haven't walked in this area before, but it was lovely. More back streets, and around Balls Head, which just out onto on Sydney Harbour. I met two dogs on the way: Mac, a Tenterfield terrier cross who was a playful and v nice; and Rex, a pomeranian, who was a bit standoffish. Then another well-deserved post-walk feast at Lindy's with her partner Roy (also v nice, just like Lindy). They had a hearty soup. I got to watch. But apparently I was too vocal in my appreciation of their meal, because Lindy sent me out to the balcony, with Buzz's blessing, to encourage me to consider the quality of my behaviour.

After all that, I was pretty tired and had a BIG sleep when we got home. Although, at 11pm I did get a sudden and irrisistable urge to tear around the apartment, which I did. For 20 laps. Then I joined my keeper in our improved sleeping arrangements.

Finally, walks three and four today, Monday. Monday is Club Mutt day, and I get to go to Auntie Vicky's for the day and play with a pack of petite pups like myself and go for TWO walks -- in one day! How crazy is that? I LOVE Club Mutt. So it is no surprise that after all this activity, here I am, seriously exhausted, lying on the lounge while Buzz sits in her beanbag next to the radiator (like a little bonfire waiting to happen), and watches Pushing Daisies on Foxtel -- this is her current most favourite show, and she has a crush on the male lead.

Although, now that I think about it, I am told that tomorrow I am "in for it" (Buzz has an early start, a longish day, and an evening work function so she won't be around much. Fortunately for me this alignment of events on a single day is rare, so I will cop this one on the chin), so I might postpone further rest until later tonight, and play with some toys and chew on her fingers and use my time more meaningfully. I have all day tomorrow to sleep!

No comments: